BarryAZ1

How can I force the car to stay in EV mode?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 am

I just got a new (2017) Sonata Plug-In Limited.
I have a short commute -- about 11 miles -- and I can charge for free at work. I'd like to stay in EV mode the whole time. But I have these issues:

(1) It's hard to tell what 'mode' the car is in. I see the green "EV" indicator to the left of the speedometer, but that is showing the instantaneous state -- running on the electric motor or the gas. I seem to only see the "mode" when I press the HEV button. Then I see the mode in the 'speedometer' (multi-function) display.

(2) Even when I switch to EV mode, if I hit the accelerator too hard, the gas engine fires up.

(3) The car seems to start in HEV mode. In order to get to EV mode, I have to hit the HEV button twice. The first press brings up "HEV mode" in the speedometer area, AND starts the gas engine (even if it's not needed). Then I press the HEV button again and I see "EV mode" in the display, and the gas engine turns off. This is annoying ... and worse, I'm worried that these very short spins of the gas engine are not good for the engine.

Is there a way to set EV mode as the 'default' on startup? And to discourage the computer from starting the gas engine?

Thanks,
Barry

Return to “Technical Discussions”