sahmed33

Absolute Safety Hazard

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

The car shuts down while driving with a warning sign saying "check hybrid system". It happened to me three times. twice under 18,000 miles and once at 24,600 miles. Dealers don't know how to fix it. They just do some sort of reset and returns the car. An absolute danger to yourself and other drivers. DO NOT DRIVE or RIDE in this car. Mine is a 2016 plug-in Sonata Hybrid, bought brand new from an authorized dealer.

dmg624

Re: Absolute Safety Hazard

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I just had the same thing happen to me. My car completely shut off on me while driving on the freeway. I was terrified!! I contacted Hyundai corporate and they've offered me a buy back. The 2016s are lemons with nothing but problems. My car has been in service at least 5x.

Bruce1732

Re: Absolute Safety Hazard

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Thank you for your posts, sahmed and dmg. I too have had my 2016 Sonata PHEV shut down without warning, at freeway speed. The dealer near where this occurred worked seriously at restoring the car to its original condition, but the original problem is not really diagnosed. For now, I'm not driving on any freeways. I am also waiting for a planned recall of all Sonata PHEV's, scheduled for May. Hopefully Hyundai Central will figure out how to solve this problem.

I am curious if failure for others occurred under high engine load. My car's failure took place near the end of a 200 mile drive, going uphill at 75 mph. According to my dealer, the car computer's decision to do an instant shutdown was meant to avoid a battery fire. Somehow, the software was unable to maintain gasoline power as backup.

Also, if dmg could offer the contact email/phone for asking Hyundai for a buyback this would be very helpful.

Return to “Plug-in Hybrid Sonata Reviews”